The right Dehumidifier calculation becomes important to decide the right size dehumidifier. Knowing that you need a dehumidifier is the first step. The next natural question is about dehumidifier capacity. For right dehumidifier sizing, you need to do a moisture load calculation. There are many methods of doing it.
For home, the AHAM method is most common for dehumidifier design calculation. AHAM stands for the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers. This method provides a dehumidifier calculation sheet to select right. By following a few simple steps you can do the calculation. Hence, it is the easiest method amongst all.
Many dehumidifier supplier companies provide an online dehumidifier calculator. So, you can select the right capacity model. This article discusses dehumidification sizing based on the AHAM method. Especially, for home and offices.
Dehumidifier calculation by AHAM method.
Dehumidifier calculation by AHAM proposed method is easy and simple. Even though it is not a very accurate one. Although, for the home application, we can use this method. A whole method based on two factors.
First, the size of the room that needs to dehumidify. And humidity condition in that room. Size of the room defined in square feet. Based on the humidity level, areas divided into four types of areas.
Area classifications to size dehumidifier.
Based on the moisture level inside the room, there are four types of room. It is a crucial step towards the right dehumidifier calculation.
- Moderate damped room with a musty odor and uncomfortable environment.
- Very damp areas in which we can observe spot on the floor. Also, spot pot on the wall and bad smell are common symptoms.
- Very Wet area where humidity always high. It is so high that one observes sweating on the wall due to condensation. Also, in the worst cases, there might seepage on the wall.
- Extreme Wet area where humidity too high. such that water accumulates on the floor.
For easy understanding for all consumers above humidity level associated with symptoms. For example, symptoms like musty odor, a spot of wall and floor, sweating wall, and wet floor. So that consumers can identify room type with ease for dehumidifier capacity selection.
Let’s size dehumidifier for your home.
To select the right dehumidifier capacity, first, you need to decide room size. Thereafter, you can identify the current humidity level in the room. you need to follow this chart.
Measure room for dehumidifier sizing.
Measure the size of the room which you want to dehumidify. For this, you can use approximate measurement also. The type of AC design is important. If space has separate AC then it is simple. If the same AC shared with two rooms then consider areas of both rooms.
Considering the total covered area by AC is an important aspect. Failing to it, you might do wrong dehumidifier calculation.
Decide the area type for a dehumidifier calculation.
Depending on symptoms of high humidity, you can identify area type. As mentioned before, these symptoms are like a bad smell, wet floor, etc.
You need to decide if your room is moderate damped, very damped, very wet or extreme wet. Based on these two data, from the chart, you can decide dehumidifier sizing.
Example of dehumidifier calculation.
Let’s consider that you have a room of area 1000 sq. feet which need to dehumidify. Also, AC is common between this room and another room. Another room has an area of around 500 sq feet. Also, consider that you are noticing a spot on the wall and wet floor due to high humidity.
Hence your total area to dehumidified will be 1000 + 500 = 1500 sq.feet. So, we have to do a dehumidifier calculation for 1500 sq feet room.
And, your room condition falls is the “Very Damp” category.
So based on the chart, you need a unit having a capacity of 12.5 liters/day.
CtrlTech for dehumidifier sizing.
Once you finished dehumidifier sizing, the second important selection is a supplier. In UAE, CtrlTech is the oldest dehumidifier company offering a wide range. Their product portfolio includes home, swimming pool & industrial dehumidifier. Ctrltech is a dehumidification expert. Hence, They offer special solutions for warehouses & cold rooms.
For homes, CtrlTech offers a CD-25L model having a capacity of 25 liters/day. As per the AHAM chart, it can dehumidify.
- The extreme wet area up to 2500 sq feet.
- Around 2800 sq feet very wet areas.
- Approximate 3000 sq. feet very damp room.
- The moderate damp space up to 3500 sq feet.
Please contact experts for industrial dehumidifier calculation.
Home dehumidifier features.
Other than the dehumidifier capacity we need to make sure that the unit has some essential features.
- A home dehumidifier should have quiet in operation. Thus, it will disturb you.
- It should have a fully automatic operation. In other words, it should turn off and switch on itself based on the room humidity level.
- The unit should have built-in humidistat.
- A dehumidifier should have a large tank. Above all, it should have a hosepipe connection for a continuous drain.
- It should have certified energy efficiency.
To Know more about dehumidifier calculation, please contact us.